Thursday, January 27, 2011

nesting

I am actually very reluctant to call this nesting, since (for anyone who knows me) this is what my normal level out creative output if left to my own devices. Since we are finally moved in, I have allowed myself to start my long list of projects for the baby. I still want to sew some leather/cloth baby shoes and a few other projects, but I have plenty of time still.

My first project was a baby quilt. I normally crochet baby blankets for every new baby in the family (yes, my sisters and sisters-in-law get adorable blankets for each baby), but this time I was kind of dying to use up scraps of fabrics I had lying around from previous projects. Since we move every 6-9 months, I am constantly trying to use things I already own. I realized that I had tons of adorable fabrics in every color, but the pieces were small. I remember coming across a picture of a banner quilt last year, so I decided that despite my hatred of quilting, I would try it.

I made a triangle pattern for the banner pieces and started cutting triangles out of all the fabric scraps I had on hand. I also found the most amazing tan seer sucker on clearance for $1.50 a yard at Walmart, so I may or may not have bought 12 yards. I knew it would be the perfect backing to the quilt and would come in handy for lots of other projects for the baby (manly sling for my husband when he wants to carry the baby, crib sheets, curtains, etc). After I cut out all the banner pieces I realized that I had enough material to make two quilts, so I made a slightly smaller version for my sister, who is due four days before me.


I love how the quilt turned out, especially that it has all colors and is very gender neutral. I hate how boy things are always blue or brown, so I wanted to incorporate pink, yellow, purple, orange, green, and red into the quilt. This is probably the cutest thing I have ever made.

Close-up of the quilt with the seer sucker back.

My next project was a car seat cover. I randomly came across the perfect material at my favorite local fabric store for just $2 a yard (it was a remnant). The fabric is a decorating fabric, so it is thicker which I really prefer. I also had the black and white polka dot fabric leftover from my NYC fabric district shopping trip with my sister Diedra. And I found a 25 yard spool of ric rac for $1 at the fabric store as well, which was the perfect way to finish the edges. This cover will be great at keeping out the wind/rain/snow when carrying the babe out to our car. 



Reverse side of car seat cover. I am in love with those polka dots!

1 comment:

jocie said...

So so cute.