Monday, August 20, 2007

by request

First off, let me thank my three readers for commenting on the blog! I almost never get comments, and just to show you how much I appreciate it, I will hereby fulfill your requests.

Without much further ado, here are my mocktail recipes:

Hawaiian Sunrise
2 oz ginger ale
2 oz peach juice
1 tsp grenadine

Pink Lover
4-6 oz ginger ale
1 oz grenadine
1 oz lime juice

Schmooze
2 oz orange juice
2 oz ginger ale

Love Potion #9
2 oz orange juice
2 oz cranberry juice
1 oz peach nectar
1 tbsp grenadine

The Flirtini
2 oz peach juice
1 tsp grenadine
2 oz tonic

Vixen
1 part orange juice
1 part cranberry juice

Liquid Temptation
2 oz tonic
1 tsp grenadine
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz orange juice
1 oz pineapple juice

Sweet Tart
1 1/2 oz cranberry juice
1/2 oz tonic

Wrench
1 part orange juice
1 part tonic

Bitter Experience
2 oz orange juice
1/2 oz lime juice
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz tonic

Bar tending tips:

1. These recipes are mainly estimations, not exact measurements. I kind of use them as a guide, about equal parts this and that, and then a little drizzle of that.

2. I prefer to use fresh lemons and limes in my drinks. Just cut the limes in wedges and squeeze.

3. All these drinks are made in cocktail shakers (shaken, not stirred). To make a drink, put ice in the cocktail shaker, add the ingredients, put the top on, and lightly shake. Note to self: carbonated beverages EXPAND when you shake them, so don't do this vigorously and expect to not get a little juicy. One might think this is obvious, but I've had quite a few friends get a little excited about tending bar and shake until they were covered in juice.

4. Feel free to remain the mocktails, which I usually do for every party, depending on the theme (halloween, new years, valentines day).

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Sounds great! Maybe I'll have to use them for my husband's birthday party this year. He turns 40 in less than 2 months! I think I'm more weirded out by it that he is (I'm only 29, see?). :)

By the way, what is grenadine?

Oh, and have you ever tried to make your own soda? I have a great recipe for Ginger Fizz soda, if you want it. VERY ginger-y and spicy! Yum-o, as Rachael Ray would say.

Britt said...

Kelley,

Grenadine is a red syrup (cherry juice) that is put into cocktails. You can find it in your grocery store next to the alcohol/marjarita mix ingredients. It is usually a bit hard to find, but it is always there. And most people who work at grocery stores don't know what it is, so just ask to be directed to the alcohol.

Grenadine adds color and flavor. You can't go wrong with grenadine.

I should also warn the readers that for those of you who haven't had alcohol (like me), some of these will be very bitter. NOTE TO SELF: alcohol is very bitter, espeically hard liquor. So don't spit it out. It is supposed to taste that way. But luckily, a lot of my recipes are sweeter. I personally love the bitter experience, but most people don't.

Kelley said...

Sounds good. Thanks. I can't wait to try them.