Friday, August 17, 2007

mocktails


With the house half empty and the summer winding down, Kim and I thought it was high time for a mocktail party. We moved the bar downstairs, dusted off the cocktail glasses, reinstated the kissing booth, and plugged in the ipod for a great night of dancing, mocktail shaking, and mingling. Here are the ingredients for the perfect mocktail party:

1. Refinished bar from a frat house in Georgetown. Yes I rescued my bar from a literal frat house in Georgetown. I was afraid for my life when I went inside to look at the bar, afraid of the broken glass, the empty hard liquor bottles, the trashed house, and the half clothed men who were wandering around. But after a little investigation I knew that after a little scrubbing, washing, sanding, and then repainting, the bar would look incredible. So we took it home and I spent the next few nights cleaning and then repainting it with the help of Kim. Yeah my roommates were kind of suspicious when it reeked of hard liquor and smoke. I was equally grossed out washing it down, but after a good scrub and a little febreeze it really did turn out well. I couldn't be happier with my little bar.

2. Random assortment of cocktail glasses. Thanks to a fun shopping spree at Crate and Barrel as well as the local Thrift Store (it is literally called "Thrift Store"), I have a great assortment of cocktail glasses. The ones from the Thrift Store came in a large box, so I was so surprised to find out that half were actually crystal! So now we drink in style.

3. Cocktail shakers and pour spouts. I picked up my first cocktail shaker in college and then found two others a few years back. And last birthday I was greatly surprised by Ben when he gave me the pour spouts to put in different bottles to make pouring so much easier and make the bar tender look that much cooler.

4. Rockin' drink menu. Over the years I have put together a great mocktail drink menu that always seems to please. Last night the definite house favorite was The Pink Lover. My past favorite has usually been The Bitter Experience. As always, the drinks are fake, but the buzz is real.

5. Disco ball. I've always loved disco. I first started collecting vintage disco albums in middle school. And when I say vintage, I mean vintage. I have a whole collection of actual records of the Bee-Gees, disco hit compilations, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Boston, etc. I've had my disco ball for almost 10 years now and it has never let me down.

6. A great play list. Timbaland, Beyonce, Lil' Bow Wow, JT. Need I say more?

7. Fishnets. No cocktail party is complete without fishnets.

8. Cheese ball. Now you might be thinking that cheese balls are only for holiday parties where eggnog is served. Hells no. That is because you haven't had Emily's amazing cheese ball. It will change your whole world. Thanks Emily and Jill for making the party taste fabulous.

9. Kissing booth. Yeah that is right, we put up our beads, turn on the soft back-lighting, and turn on the make-out mix for our parties. You better believe we are serious.

10. Dropping it like it's hot. No party is complete without a little dancing. Thanks to everyone who loves to dance as much as I do.

3 comments:

Chris said...

please, please, PLEASE have a mocktail party when I return to the States. I don't care where I am or when (caveat: I must be back in the US) you decide to do it, but I am there!!!

Sounds like a kickin' time!

Rixa said...

Post your mocktail recipes please! And the cheeseball recipe if she will share.
And a picture of the refurbished bar too!

Kelley said...

Yes, yes. I agree. Please post pictures and recipes. This sounds like it was a blast!