Friday, November 13, 2009

creamy tomato soup


I love eating soups in the fall when the weather turns cold and you just want something warm for dinner. Last night I made one of my favorite soup recipes while throwing together some carrot cake cupcakes for next week. This soup is my absolute favorite tomato soup recipe and very simple to make. Enjoy!
Creamy Tomato Soup
⅓ c red onion, diced (you can also use a yellow onion)
1-2 T olive oil
1 T garlic, minced
4 c chicken broth (you can also use chicken bouillon and water)
2 cans peeled, diced tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce
8 oz cream
fresh basil
fresh parmesan

Sauté onion in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Add cream and cook for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with fresh basil (cut into strips) and parmesan cheese (grated on top).

2 comments:

Carolyn G said...

Oh that looks delicious. I made up some tomato basil soup with the tomatoes I harvested from my garden and it's in my freezer! Yummy, nothing like a big bowl of tomato soup with grilled cheese on a cold winter night.

Bethany said...

I wish I had seen this a few nights ago. I made what I think is the most complicated tomato soup recipe of all time, and it wasn't that great. I'll try this one next time.