Saturday, June 27, 2009

sense of accomplishment

I often talk with my best friend Jocelyn about how the small things in life really give us a sense of accomplishment. Like doing the laundry or staining the desk. Nothing feels better than working with your hands to get something done and then seeing the fruits of your labors. Even though I used to ask my mother "do I look I was built for manual labor" whenever she asked me to mow the lawn when I was a teenager, I now really appreciate the value of physical labor and the sense of accomplishment it brings.

I admit it; I love doing the laundry, doing the dishes, and cleaning the bathroom because after a few minutes you can see a real result. This morning I cleaned the bathroom and kitchen, organized our small apartment, vacuumed, sharpened the knives, filed some important documents, baked bread, and started the laundry. It is also easier to love doing these chores when you live in a small apartment which literally takes 20 minutes to clean and you are only doing the laundry for two people. I know that it will get more time intensive when our family gets bigger, but I am truly grateful for my ability to keep our home clean and organized.

I know that it is in fashion to have a maid or someone to do your housework, but I don't want to ever stop caring for my home or taking care of my belongings. I love how good it feels to do something myself and see a positive result from work.

3 comments:

Tiana said...

I totally agree with you on the sense of accomplishment thing, that is why I love cooking from scratch so much. Enjoy cleaning the house while you can, because when you have a couple of rugrats quickly undoing everything you just did, it is harder to "see the results."

Melanie said...

amen amen amen amen. now, if I could only get Nate to think this way with housework...

jocie said...

AMEN. i just refinished my deck and every time i look at it i feel happy. and now i'm spending the day cleaning my house.