Wednesday, June 09, 2010

handy things that I love

I love decorating. A lot. In fact unpacking and putting together the new apartment was actually fun, since it meant I got to redecorate our new place. Okay, maybe not completely redecorate since we didn't buy any new curtains or furniture (no job = no purchases), but it still has a different feel than our last place. I really love our more open floor plan and that fact that we can actually put up curtains in this apartment.

I thought I would give a shout out to my facorite handy things in my apartment. I love for everything to have a place and to be organized. This first was was a present from my brother Garrett. He made these jewelry hanging frames for all of the sisters last Christmas, and I absolutely love it. I have yet to find a better way to organize all my earrings. Right now this is hung on the wall above a small bookcase in our bedroom.

To make, simply take an old wood frame, pop our the back and glass, spray paint black, and insert small hook and wire down the sides.

I also love my magnetic spice containers, which I keep on the side of the fridge. I can never find spices in cabinets, so these are a great way to keep your spices, plus the lids twist allowing you to either poor or sprinkle the spices as you cook. The only downside is that they are not labeled, so I have learned the smell of each spice.

And lastly, my flour/sugar jars. My mother always kept flour and sugar in tupperware containers, and it wasn't until I went to college and my roommates got all kinds of bugs in theirs that I understood why. This was one of the first things we bought when we got married, and I absolutely love them. I keep them on the top of the baking rack for easy access. Right now I have wheat flour and corn meal in the medium size jars, since I make so much homemade bread.



3 comments:

michelangelo said...

where did you get your flour/sugar canisters? i need new ones, good ones, better ones. can't really find what i'm looking for but those look great.

alyce

Britt said...

Alyce,

I got the canisters at Ikea. They have them in the kitchen section and come in a variety of sizes. I love them because the lids kind of suction close, which means that bugs never get in. The only downside is that my 1 cup measuring cup does not fit in the largest mouth, so I use the 1/2 cup measuring cup instead. But I love how great they look, and I especially loved their price.

Britt

Unknown said...

I also love the way my wife organizes our house. Most of the time, she surprises me on how different our home would look like. It was also then that I realized that her Gigats jobs are helping her.
It was like having a small community of various people with different passion, and have a Gigats trading, in exchange of your skill. This is where my wife finds some of her idea and shares her own creativity.