Tuesday, May 08, 2007

the art of sewing

This last Christmas I inherited a set of sewing books from my Grandmother that I had been waiting years to receive (due to my temporary status when she offered them and the mileage that separated us). The set is called "The Art of Sewing" and has 15 volumes, each specialized on a different aspect of sewing.

One of my favorite things about the books, besides the vintage illustrations inside, is that each is bound with a different fabric! I was so nerdy over Christmas break that I took them out and read them. I adored the book on revamping old clothes to make them new and chic, as well as the one on working with leather. Here are some of my favorite tips from the books. More suggestions will follow as I complete my study of the art of sewing.
1. Make a skirt out of a dress. If the dress just don't fit or isn't the right style anymore, cut at the waist, put a zipper in the side or back, and create a waist band. This especially works well if the dress is too short, since you can ease out any darts and increase the length of the skirt. Also consider using a coordinating fabric at the waistline or hem to increase length.
2. Changing the neckline and the cuffs on a shirt can drastically give it more style. Consider modifying the collar into a mock-neck, making long sleeves into 3/4 length or shorter, adding a stylish cuff, or adding decoration on the collar and cuff to dress a shirt up.
3. Make a full dress into a more fitted dress. If something is too baggy, take in the sides, adding a tie or belt if wanted to make it have more shape. Also consider changing the sleeves and hemline to give it more style. One great suggestion was to cut the dress at the waist, re-fit the top, and then pleate the skirt to fit the waistline.
Even though I readily admit that altering garments is hard and time consuming, giving life to an older garment doesn't have to be a huge project. One of my new goals is to start finding vintage items that I can use to make a skirt or shirt out of. Has anyone had success in making an out-dated garment new and improved? Any suggestions for the rest of us who love vintage clothes and material but often have a hard time finding something that fits well?

1 comment:

Rixa said...

I re-make clothes all the time. I have several outfits that I have an emotional attachment to, even though they are hopelessly outdated. I've been cutting them apart to make into outfits for Zari and somehow it's not so hard to let go any more.