Friday, May 18, 2007

wadding caek

My sister and I like to pronounce "wedding cake" with an accent that makes us sound like French food snobs, so it kind of comes out like wadding caek. This all started when we did our first caek for my sister's friend back when I was in high school. It was our first wadding caek attempt and turned out quite well for our untrained selves.

From their our love for beautiful caeks, and occasionally making them for our friends weddings, has only grown. The thing about wadding caeks is that they are beautiful, but so easy to completely ruin. I think the key to success is that less is more.

However, traditional American weddings are not simple. They are HUGE, extravagant, and purposely over-the-top. So this is my salute to some beautiful caeks that are elegant without being overly done.
1. the modern fondant
I love fondant. Once you have a general knowledge of how to work with it, it is relatively easy to use as long as you can work fast. I think this cake works even though it is modern because it is simple, the design isn't busy, and the color is very refreshing.

2. traditional flowers
Even though we have all seen this caek before, I love the design. Pillars are so 1992, so I am glad we are finally able to hide them with beautiful flowers and not cover the cake in a busy design. '
2. the hipster

Wedding caeks don't need to serve 150 people or be taller than a small child. Why not make a beautiful one to display and cut later into the reception. I especially like how this one has more color and style. White is beautiful, no doubt, but why not try something new?


Do you have any favorite wadding caeks or decorated caeks in general. I actually don't care that much what my wedding will be like, but for some reason beautiful cakes matter. I just think they should taste wonderful and look just as good.

2 comments:

Unprofessional Chef said...

I too love wedding cakes. I'm taking a wedding cake class in August and can't wait! It's going to be awesome because we work with sugar and chocolate decor along with gum paste and fondant. It's going to rock.

and if I can put in a plug for my latest blog post of salacious wedding stories: http://unprofessionalchef.blogspot.com

Britt said...

Plug away Sam. You deserve every word. I can't wait to see your sugar creations.