Thursday, May 03, 2007

no shame in being single

A few weekends back I participated in my church's regional women's conference. The theme was "Bless Every Home," focusing on specific skills or talents that women in the area have. The topics ranged from easy dinner ideas, organizational techniques, food storage, and crafts. I did a booth on hand-made leather journals, my latest passion.

While talking to one of my friends who was there demonstrating jewelry making, an older women commented on how many talents we have and the amount of crafts we are each involved in. She then asked how we learned to do so much and fit it into our days. Without missing a beat I turned to her, smiled, and commented, "we're single."

There was no mocking or bitterness in my voice. I was being 100% honest. I love my life and the opportunity I have to enrich myself in different areas, be it social, professional, spiritual, or intellectual. Although my mom is worried about my marital status, I for one am extremely grateful for my current situation. However, this does not mean I am adverse to any available, handsome bones people want to throw my way.

No comments: