Wednesday, May 23, 2007

finally organized

In spite of the fact that it only took about 6 months for me to finally get my sunroom organized, I am thrilled by the result. The main problem was a lack of storage and serious lack of good bookcases to suit my needs. After looking at several stores for a bookcase that was the right size and not finding anything, I finally just waited until one of my roommates was moving and bought a bookcase off her. So really I should be thanking Anne-Marie for making this all possible.

With the new bookcase in place, I was able to neatly organize two baskets of fabric, all my sewing notions, my book binding tools, leather scraps, and my sewing machine. And somehow I managed to make the whole thing look organized and cute instead of just messy.

As I have struggled to keep my crafts and sewing projects organized and neatly put away, I have come up with some great organizational solutions:

1. Get a tall bookcase that can hold not only your books, but also baskets filled with anything from stationary, thread, patterns, fabric, and sewing tools.

2. Get different size baskets which can easily be pulled off the shelves, used, and then replaced. I've actually had a lot of success cleaning up after a project using these baskets because items can be put right back in and then placed back on the shelf. Because it doesn't have to go into the basement or attic, it actually gets put away.

3. Get smaller plastic containers to hold things like bobbins, thread, and buttons. A little help in the organization makes accessing my sewing notions that much easier. Plus I like that I can find things quickly and know exactly what tub/basket everything is in.

4. Stack extra fabric on top of the bookcase. Since I always seem to have remnants or fabric waiting to be used sitting around my sunroom, I finally decided to fold it and place it on top of the bookcase. This way it is organized, but out of the way. I also like to use large wicker baskets to hold yarn and this fabric, which I then just set on top. It isn't as clean as I would like, but it is a million times better than having the baskets cluttering the floor.

5. Use the extra space under your bed. I keep metal bins under my bed filled with anything random items like craft paint and brushes, pictures, wrapping paper, and extra pens and pencils. Because these bins are smaller, they are easy to pull out and retrieve whatever I need.

So what is your favorite organizational tool? Anything you really love that helps you keep your life or projects in order?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Britt,

This is Kelley, Rixa's freshman/sophomore roommate. I love your blog. Very entertaining and useful. :)

Anyway, my organizational tool is one of space. We used to have our office in the same room as our bedroom. It drove me crazy!!!! Recently we moved all our office stuff and my crafty stuff into the unfinished part of our basement, and set up a delightful little room with bookcases and a couple nice long tables to do anything on. They've been used for sewing, painting, scrapbooking, whatever.

It has made my life a million time easier (slight exaggeration, but oh well) by being able to close the door on my mess. With three active boys 7 and under, this is very important. :) As a matter of fact, I have a wonderful project going on down there that I can't wait to get back to this afternoon.

I love your idea of all the bins and baskets. I've done this to some extent with my scrapbooking supplies, but I need to make my sewing materials easier to get to. Right now they are in big Rubbermaid containers and not very accessible.

Keep blogging.

Britt said...

Hi Kelley! Glad to know that fellow friends are enjoying the blog. Thanks so much for organizing.

Well most of my sun room has turned into a craft room. I have a large round glass table that I use for sewing and craft projects. And my two bookcases are full of books and baskets of fabric, paper, and tools.

I will admit that dedicating an entire room to crafts is great. This way I can work on projects and still have a dining room table to use and not have stuff all over my bedroom. Plus, the room is always sunny and looks out into our tree covered backyard. The trees are so high that once the leaves come in all we see is green, kind of like a tree house.

For some reason smaller bins and baskets is just better than large tubs. That way I can pull a basket off the shelf, use it, and return it. No need to move everything else to get to it.

Kelley said...

Hmmmm... As an update, my wonderful craft room just got transformed into a family/school room. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. I guess it all comes back to "there is a time and a place for everything" (very para-phrased quote).

Kelley said...

I anxiously await your next post. What you have to say is so interesting. :)

Melanie said...

This blog is great. I am glad I stumbled unto it (via Rixa's). You have some great ideas. Very creative and classy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Britt,

(Is that what you go by these days or is it just for your blog? I spent the day with another Rochesterite who doesn't use her old nickname, and I felt like she was using an alias.)

It's Amy J. from Rochester. I just wanted to say hi and that I enjoy your blog. My daughter (almost 7) shares your approach to crafts. I'm currently picking glitter out of every crevice in our house, including the baby's eyelids and the computer keyboard.

Blog away!