Monday, July 16, 2007

egg rolls

I was probably 12 when my mom first started making egg rolls. I think we just curious one day and guessed what was in them and went from there. I started making them on my own since I was 15, and my love of the roll has only increased. A few years ago I discovered a great way to broil them (instead of frying) which significantly cuts down on the heart attack factor and actually produces a quite tasty egg roll. Enjoy:

1 lb sausage
1 yellow onion
1 head cabbage
3 carrots
1 tsp hot chili sauce (I'm not exactly sure what this is called but it is PIPING hot and you get it in the Chinese food section of the grocery store.)
2 tbs hoison sauce
1 tbs soy sauce
1 pkg egg roll wrappers
1 egg white
dipping sauce

Brown sausage in large stock pot. Dice onion and add when sausage is mostly cooked. Cook sausage and onion until done. Finely chop cabbage. Peel and grate carrots. Add cabbage, carrots, and sauces to the sausage and cook on medium for 4-7 minutes, stirring constantly. Cabbage should cook down, but NOT be soggy. Liquid should be minimal.

Remove from heat. Wrap in egg roll wrappers as directed on package and place on GREASED cookie sheet. Beat egg white and brush on top of rolls. Broil for approximately 2 minutes per side, watching carefully because they will burn easily. Flip eggs rolls (hence the greased cookie sheet), brush with egg white, and broil for another 2 minutes. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.

This is dedicated to Julie and her love of egg rolls.

4 comments:

Kelley said...

This sounds like a great idea. I love eggrolls, but not the fact that I feel like a grease-spot after I eat them. When you say "hot sauce" are you talking about chili-garlic sauce?

Thanks for the great recipe!

Britt said...

I'll check the actual name on the bottle at home. The hot sauce is a Chinese sauce that is sold next to the hoison and plum sauces.

My favorite dipping sauce is a thai sweet chili sauce, which is to die for. You can find it at any ethnic food store.

layjent said...

I highly recommend this recipe. Simply amazing.

Julie Bradshaw said...

I'm so honored. I do love egg rolls. In fact, I would love some right now...