Friday, July 20, 2007

the three-step plan

My friend Chris asked me this morning to blog about my three-step plan that I implemented for 2007. Every year I have a theme for the year, usually revolving around dating/marriage. My friend Jill got me started on this years ago, and it has kind of stuck. Hers for 2002 was "say I do in 2002." So 2003 quickly became "marry me in 2003." Most of the themes were tongue-in-cheek. Last years ago I smartly chose "drama nixed in 2006," which turned out to be one of the main goals that year for me. This year's theme is "make your own heaven in 2007, " kind of a motto to find your own peace in your life.

I've definitively become a lot more proactive in the last year in my own life. I got sick of blaming people, my job, and circumstances on my unhappiness, so I decided it was time to take charge. If something bothers me either I can find a way to fix it or accept it and try to make the most out of it. It is all about picking your battles.

So 2007 rolled along and I decided it was high time that my dating life took a turn for the better, so I developed the three-step plan:

1. date more
2. kiss more
3. freak out less

I have noticed that most of the dating issues that we Mormon singles deal with would be significantly decreased if we followed these three simple rules. If we went out with more people, had more interaction with them (and yes occasionally kissed them), and spent less time freaking out over nothing, we would all be more happy. Less analyzing. Less talking about dating and more of the actual activity. More physical contact, since no one likes to be love-starved. It is all about making your own heaven and either finding a solution or dealing with it.

I shared this plan with a few of my friends earlier in the year, but I probably got the best reaction from Chris, so now he always checks to see how the plan is treating me. I'm happy to report quite well, in fact. My sister has started to adopt the three-step plan and agrees that being more proactive in your dating life makes things so much better. I don't think anyone is happy in life just waiting for things to happen.

So let's hear about your brilliant plans for happiness. Or feel free to try the three-step plan yourself and report back. I would love feedback.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I think you hit it right on the head. I know a lot of people who make dating way more complicated and less enjoyable than it should be.

Kelley said...

Hmmm...well the only person I date anymore is my husband, but that could probably work there, too. Also, if it was modified to "play more, hug more, freak out less" it would work great for my relationship with my kids. They'd definitely appreciate it if I freaked out less. :)

That's a good one you've come up with. I'll have to remember it.

Rixa said...

Brilliant! Eric would probably like more kissing...I don't really freak out so that's already taken care of.

Britt said...

Rixa,

Well these rules are mostly for single people, but I'm sure that Eric would like more kissing. I hereby, dedicate rule number two to him.

Maybe we need a set of rules for married people to make life easier and happier.