Friday, July 06, 2007

sewing lessons

I've been sewing since I was a teenager, but it hasn't been until recently that I have discovered the secret taking on new sewing projects for people: teach them to sew and have them do most of the work. I will admit that sewing my cousin's wedding dress was one of the best experiences of my life. I really wanted to do this for her as a gift since we were so close, and I was thrilled to be able to make her wedding day extra special with a completely original dress that made her look stunning. I don't regret at all dedicating 8 hours each Saturday to sewing.

Two years ago I did the same thing for a very close friend who needed to look stunning at her younger sister's wedding. Easy, I told her. Again, I was overjoyed to help her out and serve her this way. And it was actually really fun sewing a vintage looking 1950s cocktail dress for her.

However, recently a friend asked me to make her bridesmaid dress, and I thought to myself "wait, why don't you teach her how to sew and let her do most of the work." Brilliant. She actually loved the idea since she would learn and that way she wouldn't have to pay me (I'm expensive, trust me). Last night we headed down to the fabric store to pick out a pattern and then decide on fabric. So we are set, now we just need to start working on getting the lining sewn and fitted and make sure that it is exactly what she wants.

Even though it will take longer to teach someone, I think this might be my new thing. I love helping others and really would love to teach someone to sew. It honestly isn't that hard. First off, the patterns come with really great directions. And as long as you can cut and sew a straight line, you are fine. I'm also looking forward to having sewing parties as she works on the dress and I work on several of the projects that are waiting in my sewing queue, which hopefully will make it on this blog soon if I can remember to take a picture!

I actually look forward to the day when I can teach my kids to cook and do so many of the things I learned from my mother, who learned from her mother. There is something so noble and rich in learning to do something that has been taught by each generation. I cherish the recipes from my great grandmother. I love that my Aunt Carla taught me to crochet. Some of my fondest memories of growing up was cooking with my mom, usually helping with dinner. Thanks mom for taking the time to teach me. And thanks to all of you who share you talents.

5 comments:

jocie said...

first of all, i think i may have looked better than my sister on her wedding day in that hot 1950's cocktail dress. secondly, having you teach me how to alter my vintage dress this past week was also awesome. pretty much britt's craftiness makes my life better.

Britt said...

it is true, you did look smashing in your cocktail dress and a vision in the vintage dress on Sunday.

my new goal: buy vintage clothes at a thrift store and re-make them into wearable items. who's in?

Kelley said...

If I had any idea how to do it, I'd definitely be in.

jocie said...

i'm in!

Unknown said...

I would love to do that when I'm back home. (Rixa) Too bad we don't have very good 2nd hand shops around here.