Monday, July 16, 2007

the tipi cake


Theme cakes are a family tradition. We grew up eating cakes shaped like bunnies, rockets, and merry-go-rounds and then started venturing out into things like violins, sheep, baby chicks, and skateboards. When I first moved to DC, my sister and I got the idea to make one of our all time favorite theme cakes: a pyramid. However, the story about that cake will have to wait since I don't have pictures of it available. This post is dedicated to the tipi cake which I made for my work's bake off two years ago, which I might add, I won.
I entered the bake off thinking it would be fun, but once I decided to do a theme cake, it really became a challenge. I had a whole list of ideas, but settled on the tipi cake for a few reasons: 1) it seemed very appropriate for Thanksgiving, 2) it would be relatively easy to construct, and 3) my family actually owns a tipi, which is another post entirely.

Back to the cake. So I decided to stack about 4 layers of cake and then carve with a knife to create the right shape and frost. Then, I placed kabob skewers on top of the cake as the poles, and then rolled out fondant for the tipi skin. I had been working with fondant for a few years, so making the tipi skin was no problem and actually turned out to be quite easy. The final part was actually my favorite: painting the tipi. My roommate Jami helped add the final finishing touches to our Indian tipi with a few crescent moons, deer, and arrows.
The tipi in all its glory.
Jami's hunter and moon phases.
A little turkey and squash decoration we did last minute.

4 comments:

Kelley said...

WOW! That is completely awesome!

Maybe I should start being more creative with birthday cakes around my house. I've always fallen back on the idea that I can bake a cake just fine, but decorating is another story. After seeing this post, though, I'm thinking my way is just a cop-out. Besides, what memories do lopsided cupcakes in ice-cream cones inspire? (I'm not kidding... that is what I ended up with for my 5yo son's birthday a couple weeks ago. Very embarrassing, actually.)

Britt said...

Kelley,

Anytime you need a fun cake idea, just ask. I have a whole list sitting in my head just waiting to be used. In fact just this morning I gave one to my brother who is making a birthday cake for a friend. Some ideas I have seen and others just come to me in a flash of inspiration (like the watermelon cake which I will try to get pictures of).

Kelley said...

Sounds like a plan. Now I just need to come up with a good reason to have cake. I'm sure it won't be too hard. :)

bex said...

oh my brilliant. i would be coming up with entire party themes based solely around what cake i wanted to make for it.