Tuesday, February 10, 2009

cuff links


For Christmas this past year, I decided to make cuff links for the men in my family. With a few cuff link backs, some super glue, and specially chosen items from the craft store, I was ready to go. Eric, a very proud Canadian, got a matching cuff link set of the statue of liberty and an American flag. I also gave him a pair of Canadian leaf cuff links as a consolation prize. Matt, who works at an Air Force base, got a bomber plane and tank. My brother Garrett, who is on a mission in Russia, got a matching set of a martini shaker and martini glass and menu. Yes I mailed them to him on his mission, and yes he wore them with pride.

After his Christmas package spent about 3 months on route to Russia, he finally received it this past week. And in typical Spencer custom, he wore them to his zone conference and told us all about it in his letter:

"So, I wore the cuff-links that you sent, Britt and Ben, since they are absolutely sweet. I don't have a French cuffed shirt, so I cut off both buttons, and then cut small holes in my shirt cuff, in order to wear them. Yeah, when I was in my interview with my mission president, I showed them to him, and he thought they were pretty cool, too. But, my companion told me (in companionship inventory) that he thought I was, as he put it, "living in Babylon" being focused on worldly things. First, I hate cheesy missionary analogies like that, and secondly, it doesn't matter that there were alcoholic paraphernalia on them—they were so sweet! Anyway, almost everybody at zone conference thought they were amazing."

I love my brother. He is an inspiration for being such a great missionary, but I also love how he hasn't lost his sense of humor and keeps it real on his mission.

1 comment:

jocie said...

living in babylon? hahahahahaha!