Thursday, February 12, 2009

new leather


I received a new shipment of leather this week, which made me incredibly happy. I've been on a book binding craze recently, which has caused me to run out of paper and run dangerously low on leather. Luckily, my Dad recently picked up some more leather, which he sent to me. I will have to post pictures of the books made from that leather, because it is gorgeous, but for now here are pictures of some recent books I've made.



These books are 5 inches tall by 4 inches wide. Each is made out of recycled leather, and many keep have the natural edges of the leather. You can even see the brand on the left, bottom book.


Here is a close up of the books. The leather wraps around the book and the closes with a leather strap that gets tucked under itself. Each book is made by hand is different, since the leather pieces have raw edges and I use different combinations of paper and ribbon.


Here is what each book looks like when it is closed. The curved front flap was already cut round like that, so I decided to incorporate it into the book.

Here is the same book opened up. The paper used is an incredibly beautiful paper, which you can't see that well in the picture, but is actually one of my favorites.

I love this book because of the natural edge of the leather that I was able to keep.

Here is the book opened up, where you can really see the edge of the leather. The paper is a brand new one that Ben got me for Christmas.

Here is a top view of the book , so you can see the great edges of the leather.

I love the paper I used in this book. It is a great retro poppy print.
Last night I got another supply of paper (for 40% off, which was a steal), so I'm back in book binding heaven. I'm hoping to make a lot of new books, since I have new paper that has yet to be used.

No comments: